Nil Tuzcu is an urban technologist, designer and researcher with a background in software development, urbanism and architectural design. She specializes in spatial data analysis and visualization in a variety of media from interactive multimedia platforms to immersive experiences. She is the creator and developer of Istanbul Urban Database, the most comprehensive multimedia archive of Istanbul (Read CityLab Article).
For the last three years, she worked as a Technology Lead and Research Fellow with Massachusetts Institute of Technology Department of Urban Studies Displacement Research Group (DRAN), and as a Research Associate with Harvard-Mellon Urban Initiative, Harvard University Graduate School of Design. With DRAN she developed interactive mapping platforms that document displacement and gentrification in cities, and web/mobile based crowdsourced data applications. At Harvard-Mellon, she worked on multimedia storytelling tools that utilize spatial and historical data. She currently works at the Harvard Kennedy School, Center for International Development.
She has taught design courses at the Boston Architectural College, MIT and NuVu. She studied at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cornell University and Istanbul Technical University.
- Invited Speaker, "Geospatial Visualization in History Research", Harvard University, 2018
- Invited Speaker, "The Making of Istanbul Urban Database", Koc University ANAMED Annual Symposium, 2017.
- Invited Speaker, "Istanbul Urban Database and Future Plans", Duke University History Department, 2017
- Selected Ignite Talker, Digital Media and Learning Conference, University of California Irvine, 2017
- Invited Workshop Organizer and Lecturer, "Ways of Storytelling in an Interactive World", !F Istanbul Film Festival, 2017
- SALT Grants Presenter, "Multimedia Storytelling Platform: I am Istanbul", SALT Grants Presentations, 2016
- Invited Speaker, "Mapping Technologies for Urban Segregation", MIT International Development House, 2016
- Harvard Mellon Urban Initiative Traveling Exhibition, 2018 | Project: Urban Intermedia: City, Archive, Narrative Traveling Exhibition, Research Associate
- !F Istanbul International Film Festival Virtual Reality and Interactive Storytelling Exhibition, 2017 | Project: I am Istanbul, Director & Creator
- !F Istanbul International Film Festival Virtual Reality and Interactive Storytelling Exhibition, 2017 | Project: September 1955, Co-director & Co-Creator
- Keller Gallery Exhibition Series, 2016 | Project: September 1955, Co-director & Co-Creator
- MANTA: Motion Activated Neopixel Tracking Apparatus, 2016 | An Architectural Installation, Project Advisor
If you would like to work together, or for any other inquiries, fill out the form below to contact Nil directly.